1 cup of whole wheat flour
1/3 cup peanut butter
½ cup mashed banana
1 tablespoon honey
½ cup oats
- Preheat oven to 160 degrees C.
- Combine peanut butter, mashed bananas, honey, and egg in a large bowl.
- Stir in whole-wheat flour. Mix until well combined (might need to get your hands dirty for this part)
- Knead dough until ball forms. Add a little more flour if the dough is sticky.
- Roll dough on counter or cutting board using a rolling pin until the dough is about a 1/2 inch thick, if the dough is sticky, add a little more flour.
- Use cookie cutters of your choice.
- Prepare cookie sheet by spraying a little olive oil.
- Bake at 160 degrees C for about 20 minutes.
- Turn off the oven and leave cookies until thoroughly dry and crisp, 30 to 40 more minutes.
- Remove the cookies from the oven and allow to cool
- Now it’s time for the icing!
Yummy Dog Friendly Icing Recipe
For my dog treats I chose to use Magifrost which is manufactured by Fido’s Frosting brand of dog treat icing. It is completely safe for your four legged friend and sets hard and will not melt as easy as other icing alternatives. Just add water and away you go!
Magifrost is sold online through K9Cakery.com or you can also find it on Amazon.co.uk or Ebay.co.uk
Now let’s add some color! Many of the basic food dyes we use in our food have some nasty ingredients that can disagree with your pooch. So I am going to explain how I make my completely natural, pet friendly food coloring which is quick and easy to do.
Natural Purple Pet Friendly Icing color:
All you need is blueberries and water!
- Add one third blueberries and 2 thirds water into a saucepan
- Simmer for 10-15 minutes
- Remove the blueberries and you should be left with purple coloured water
- Slowly add your coloured water to your Magifrost using one table spoon at a time. If the mixture is too running add a little more Magifrost. If the mixture is too thick keep adding tiny bits of water until purrrfect (sorry)
- Spread the icing on the treats and allow to set.
This same recipe can be used to make other colours such as red (beetroots), green (spinach) and pink (Raspberries).
Other Base Ingredients to choose from for your icing Include:
- Yogurt – plain is preferred
- Eggs – the yolks make a great glaze
- Cream Cheese – low or fat free
- Cottage Cheese – low or fat free
- Carob – chips or powder, just melt and spread
Please note that these ingredients do not set and will melt in the heat
Happy Baking xx